25 February 2008

Real Progressives and Conservatives Get Along

By Thomas Gangale
San Francisco Chronicle
24 February 24, 2008

Bill Brock is retired from politics these days, but he used to be a U.S. senator, U.S. secretary of labor, Republican National Committee chair and a few other things. His Wikipedia biography states that "while in the Senate, Brock was a darling of the conservative movement." A few months ago, Bill asked me, "How can you be a serious Democrat and still make so much sense?"

My response was rather flippant: "Actually, before I was a Democrat, I was a Republican. I started out smart, and got smarter, so much so that now I am such a smart a-, that what else could I be but a Democrat?"

But really, Bill deserved a better answer than that. The fact is that in my experience, a lot of Democrats are depressingly dumb. Some of my less-critical-thinking colleagues on a Democratic Party committee suspect me of being a closet Republican, some because I was a military officer and still read Sun Tzu, some because I've admitted to talking to Republicans (and they were absolutely scandalized when I went to a county Republican central committee meeting), and yes, maybe because I make sense. God knows some of them don't. One of my colleagues confided, "Yes, I've been told you are a spy, underground Republican, nuclear something, etc., etc."

FULL STORY

No comments: